Protect yourself from wildfiresNovember 28, 2016 by Angela Traver
Successfully preparing for a wildfire requires you to take personal responsibility for protecting yourself, your family and your property. Every year, wildland fire causes unnecessary loss of homes and structures. These losses can be minimized if homeowners take the time to become aware of safety measures to help protect their homes.
Here are some things you can do around your home TODAY to minimize your risk of wildfire:
- Clean roof surfaces and gutters of pine needs, leaves, branches, etc., regularly to avoid accumulation of flammable materials.
- Remove portions of any tree extending within 10 feet of the flue opening of any stove or chimney.
- Remove branches from trees to height of 15 feet.
- Dispose of stove or fireplace ashes and charcoal briquettes only after soaking them in a metal pail of water.
- Addressing should be clearly visible on structures.