2012 Spring Cleanup: 15 Years of PRIDE and “Saving Our World, One Cleanup at a Time”April 1, 2012 by clackey
We thank Mackenzie Walden, a 7th grader at Corbin Middle School, for coining the slogan. She won our annual PRIDE Club contest to design the Spring Cleanup T-shirt. Her idea was selected from 1,612 contest entries. (Click here to read more about Mackenzie and the contest.)
Save Our World with PRIDE
Mackenzie’s theme looks great on a T-shirt, and it sums up perfectly the power of PRIDE volunteers to transform the nature of things.
You see, every PRIDE cleanup improves our environment now, and it deters littering in the future. People tend to litter where they see litter on the ground, and we break that cycle by removing litter from our landscape. After volunteers see the blight of litter first hand, they become less likely to tolerate it.
As a result, our communities are cleaner, healthier and more welcoming to tourists, businesses and retirees.
It all starts with one cleanup and one volunteer — you. Celebrate 15 years of PRIDE by joining Spring Cleanup Month in April.
Volunteer with PRIDE
Please answer the call for volunteers when your local PRIDE Coordinator announces Spring Cleanup events near you. Stay tuned to your local media and kypride.org/calendar.
Invite your friends and family to join you to:
- Have fun while working together in the great outdoors
- Improve your community’s appearance
- Inspire others to dispose of trash properly
- Prove your hometown pride
- Enjoy a sense of satisfaction from time well spent at a safe, efficient event
Lead with PRIDE
Your business, church, civic club, neighborhood association, school or other group may organize a Spring Cleanup event. You can draw volunteers solely from your group or recruit volunteers from your entire community.
PRIDE will provide your trash bags, gloves, safety vests and volunteer appreciation gifts (T-shirts, while supplies last). Your PRIDE Coordinator will guide and assist you and deliver your PRIDE supplies.
Sponsor with PRIDE
You also may consider donating financial or in-kind support to help create a rewarding experience for your local Spring Cleanup volunteers. Ideas include:
- Supplying food and/or door prizes
- Publicizing and/or staffing cleanup events
- Sponsoring a cleanup event
Connect with PRIDE
To start saving our world with PRIDE:
- Call PRIDE, toll free, at 888.577.4339
- Call your local PRIDE Coordinator (click your county on this map for a list of your coordinators)
- Sign up for PRIDE e-mails (A form will open in Facebook. You do not need a Facebook account to fill in and submit the form.)
- Like facebook.com/EasternKentuckyPRIDE (The PRIDE Facebook page will open. You will need a Facebook account to select “Like”.)
Join our e-mail list or like us on Facebook to be entered in monthly door prize drawings!